Saturday, March 15, 2008

Day 62 and Security

What makes you feel secure? If you don't have it, you start feeling nervous and anxious? For me, it's having plenty of food in the freezer and pantry. I'm not sure why, but if we start getting low on stuff, especially meats, I get really nervous. That's why I get so excited when I find great bargains on food, well that and I have no life. LOL. Last night, I found 3# bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts for 3.99 at Jumbo's in Enid. That is an awesome price! I normally pay $6-6.50 regular price at Aldi's for those. I bought 5 of them. They also had ground chuck for 1.59 a pound. I already had some hb meat, but I went ahead and bought 4 packages, a total of about 18 pounds. I brought it home and browned up 3 packages of it and put it in the freezer last night. It was so lean that I was able to get 17 baggies out of that; I usually put about 2 cups of the browned drained meat in a bag, that is about equal to one pound of meat. Obviously, the higher fat stuff doesn't go as far as the leaner meat. I'm probably going to make meatballs with some of the last package. Oh, and they also had boneless pork chops for 1.49 a pound so I got a couple of packages of those to freeze.

I wish I knew the deep reasons behind my issues with this. But I think at least part of it is that if I run out of what I bought on sale, then I have to pay full price for the meats and that makes me crazy. A few weeks ago when I ran out of hamburger meat, I had to pay 2.09 a pound to get some. Hamburger meat, for crying out loud!

I woke up this morning with a bad headache and a deep cough AGAIN. Gosh, I am so sick of this crap. I took some medicine and went back to sleep and thankfully the headache let up and the cough isn't as deep, but I am still coughing. I hope to be able to do something with the rest of that hamburger meat today, plus work on our taxes. Then of course, I have tons of homework to work on too. Such is life in my house! LOL!

Oh, and a victory story. After I made my bank deposit last night and went to the grocery store, I wanted so bad to stop at Sonic. I called Tom and he talked me down and I came straight home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wish that I had the energy you have! LOL I also wish I had the time to actually bargain shop for meats, etc. Congratulations on your strong will power, too! You are doing so great on this program.(Even if Tasha is tired of hearing about your 'budget")...LOL Gotta love teenagers.

Anonymous said...

You guys are doing so wonderful! I have a weird thing about buying clothes for Hailee. I buy them no matter how soon she will grow into them if I find them on sale. I will admit though she just grew into some shirts I bought about 2 years ago for 60 cents each and it felt so nice to already have them!

KiddoKare1 said...

Di, more than time or energy, it's also a matter of survival for us. Feeding 5-7 child care kids breakfast, lunch, and snacks everyday, and then feeding my family on top of it, if I wasn't able to bargain shop, we'd have gone under long ago.

Mandy, oh, I miss those days of cheap kid's clothes. I think you are wise to shop and keep stuff back for Hailee. If it ever gets to the point that you are not using it, then you can always stop. But 60 cents, shoot, that's as good or better than garage sale prices.