Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 38 and Using a Calculator

Several years ago, when Tom and I were first married, I used to take a calculator to the grocery store with me to keep up with how much I was spending. That way if I went over my budget, I'd know something had to go back. As time went on, I fell out of the habit of using it. So now the last few months, I'm back to using it again. It helps keep me on track in the grocery store, and also helps keep me away from some of those impulse purchases. I need to start using it in Wal-Mart because I always seem to spend more than I think in there.

I set up an automatic transfer on our checking account for the Fridays when Tom gets paid to go into the gift account. It will start this Friday. I've also set up several automatic payments to go out this Friday when Tom gets paid. I'll be updating the debt list at the end of this week. I have some half.com money coming sometime in the next few days ($15), so that will go towards the EF. I also sold a couple more of my curriculum books to a friend, so when I meet up with her, I'll be adding another $15 to the EF. Slowly but surely, we're getting there. Baby steps, baby steps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! I used to do that too at the store but got out of the habit myself.

Mom Thumb said...

When we were homeschooling, we took two calculators to the store. One kid kept track of how much we'd spent and the other would check unit pricing so we could get the cheapest brand. If they wanted something, like a new release video, I told them they could have it if they figured out how to pare the cost of it off the groceries. They were very creative and we never went over budget.

KiddoKare1 said...

What a great lesson for the kids, Linda! No wonder your kids are so awesome! They have an awesome mom!

Anonymous said...

Linda u amaze me somedays! :-)