Monday, February 18, 2008

Day 36 and Happiness

Last night's class was great. It was called Buyer Beware and was about watching out for marketing ploys and being wise in making purchase choices. Probably the best lesson from the class is this: "Stuff cannot buy you happiness". Isn't that the truth? I think this goes back to my thoughts last week about being content with what we have. Sometimes, I find myself thinking "I can't wait until Friday" or "I can't wait until________ happens", then things will be better or I'll be happier. I'm wishing my life away! We have to choose to be happy now! Paul in Philippians 4:4 says it best: "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" It's hard to always rejoice, but if we look at and remember all the blessings that God has given us, that makes it easier.

I've been reading in Exodus about the Israelites being rescued by God from the land of Egypt. As soon as they ran into the first little snag, they were whining and complaining about their new problems and wishing they were back in Egypt. At first, I was thinking, "wow, what a bunch of whiners, they've just seen what God can do, and now they're already griping about something else". Then I got to thinking about how often we're like that. We want to be rescued from a problem, but when things aren't like we think they should be after we're rescued, then we start missing our first problem and thinking it would be better if we'd stayed there. We must continue to believe in God and have faith in God, even when things aren't going like we think they should be.

No comments: