Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 25 and Facing the Giants

Have you seen the movie, "Facing the Giants"? It's a great movie centering on a football team who play the "Giants" (a bigger, better team) at the end of the movie. But it's about so much more than that. It's about those giants we face in everyday life that terrify us. In the movie, the coach of the football team is facing infertility with his wife, the threat of losing his job, among many others. I think we all have giants that we face, whether it is a fear of failing, a fear of losing someone you love, a fear of trying new things. My giants are, of course, our debt, and the fear of something happening to someone in my family. God will face those giants with you if you will just let Him. But it's hard to let Him, isn't it?

I think of all the times that God had been in control of my life and where He has led me. The most obvious one is when He led me to a job in Enid, Ok. I was separated from my husband, and getting ready to go through a divorce. This was a town where I didn't know a single soul, and I was moving there with 2 small children. A few months later, at my new job, there was a man who came in everyday and ate lunch-a double cheeseburger with no tomatoes. That man, of course, was Tom. We started dating, and well, the rest is "history". But do I think it's an accident that I met Tom at that time in my life? Do I think it was an accident that he didn't run away screaming when before our first date, I said to him "By the way, I have two kids, if you don't like kids, we shouldn't even bother going out". LOL. No, God put Tom in mine and my kid's lives. But would I have ever thought that the divorce and starting over again on my own would have led to such a blessing? Definitely not!

God is at work in my life, I just have to let Him work. I have to quit handing over my problems to Him and then snatching them back when I get scared or impatient. Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Coming up tomorrow, some debt updates!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I definately believe in "God works in mysterious ways...." I have seen it time after time in my life as well as the lives of others. You were put in Tom's life to help him as much as he was put in yours. I really hate to think where he would be without you! Mandy says that without everything she went through with Ryan, John would not be a part of her life, etc. Anyway, just keep the faith, and you will do fine!

Anonymous said...

As my mom said, I would never be where I am today had I not went through what I did to get here. It will all work out and just like John says God wouldnt put it in our lives if he didn't think we were strong enough to handle it.

Mom Thumb said...

Tracy, I could tell you many of my own stories of faith, starting when I was 14 years old, surrendered to God at Glorieta and had the most peaceful night of sleep in my life, in a camper, in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm when all other 7 people in the camper were up because of the noise. (I always felt that was the "peace beyond understanding.") It's why I wear a T-shirt that says "This girl knows God is in control." Ever since then, I have never doubted it. And all the times I look back on my life when it seemed so horrible, God turned it into good. Totally trust Him. Things might be tough, but you'll be fine, as long as you know He knows what you need. That's my sermon for the day.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I wanted to let you know that creators of Facing the Giants have just finished a new film that will be out in theaters this fall called, Fireproof.
Visit www.fireproofthemovie.com to watch the trailer.

If you would like future updates about this movie (if you liked Facing the Giants, you'll love this movie) I would be happy to add you to our list.

I am part of the PR team promoting the film. Email me at monique@lovell-fairchild if you are interested in learning more about the upcoming film.

Thank you,
Monique