Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 137 and The Complete Tightwad Gazette

One of my favorite ways to inspire myself when I'm in a slump is a book called "The Complete Tightwad Gazette". This is a compilation of the Tightwad Gazette newsletter over a period of 6+ years. The newsletter is no longer published and some of the information in the book is outdated or "out there" even for me. But what I like most about it is that it helps me to think outside the box for ways to save money. I'm going to get my copy of the book out today and start reading it again. As I run across ideas and inspiration, I'll share.

Last night, we had homemade potato soup, garlic bread, and grapes for supper. The soup turned out quite good, if I do say so myself. This is the basic recipe I use to make potato soup:

Potato Soup
5-6 potatoes, washed, peeled, and cubed
chopped onion (you can also use onion powder)
3-4 chicken bullion cubes
garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom (or celery, or chicken) soup
2 cups shredded cheese
cubed ham (optional, it's good without the ham too)

Put potatoes, chopped onion, and bullion cubes in slow cooker and cover with water. Turn the slow cooker on high and allow the potatoes to cook. As they get soft, use a potato masher to smash the potatoes up. After the potatoes get soft, add the cubed ham (if you want it). Allow to simmer for several hours, then about an hour before serving, heat up the mushroom soup with one can of milk on the stove. After it's thickened and ready, add the cheese and stir it in until it's melted. Then stir the soup mixture into the potato mixture in the slow cooker. Taste the soup, and add spices to taste. Simmer for approximately an hour or so, then serve.

4 comments:

Mom Thumb said...

I bought a four pound ham for five bucks at Jumbo awhile back. We had several meals from it but I still had some left over. I found a recipe for Stormy Day Bean Soup, which sounds a lot like your potato soup, only with navy beans. I added some corn and carrots. And I actually made it last Saturday when it really was stormy!

Anonymous said...

Mom's homeade potato soup was always a "comfort" food for me, kinda like Joyce's homeade chicken and noodles is for Mandy. Of course with Mom, there really isn't a recipe. Your recipe sounds really good to me. Danny doesn't usually like that kind of stuff, but once in a while I can fix it. Oh, and to add to Mandy's problems, John's Nana (his dad's mom) passed away last night.

KiddoKare1 said...

Linda, I love ham & navy beans! I'm the only one in my house that does though so I don't make it that often.

Di, well, that's as close to a recipe as I have on the potato soup. I really kind of tend to wing it depending on what I have available. But that is the basic recipe. LOL. Gosh, poor Mandy & John!

Anonymous said...

I love that book! That is one of my favorite things u ever bought me and i still read it from time to time also. :-) this recipe does sound good to me too. The only potato soup i have made before was a baked potato one but it was good too.