Saturday, April 19, 2008

Day 97 and the Chili Recipe

First off, some news. The first payment I sent on a credit card a couple of weeks ago came back yesterday! It had a letter saying that our payment wasn't acceptable and to call to make "acceptable" arrangements. Well, I am starting a file for that, and am sending another check today, asking them to work with us as we try to get our finances in order. It really upset me. Here we are really trying and they refuse our payment. Interesting.

Chili
3 pounds ground beef (browned and drained)
32 oz. tomato sauce
2 cans Ranch Style beans (we sometimes use one can of the sweet onion beans and one can of the jalapeƱo beans).
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2/3 teaspoon cumin
1/3 large onion, finely chopped and saute
2 green bell peppers, finely chopped and saute
salt and pepper
2/3 cup ketchup
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker and cook for at least 3 hours. I usually put it on high for about an hour to get it bubbling, then turn it down.

Now the thing you have to understand about Tom is that he never really follows a recipe so he tends to add stuff as it is cooking. However, this is about as close to his "recipe" as it gets. LOL.

I'm off in a little while to a child care class. The contractor is coming today to start some of the repairs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you were up early! The new debt list looks great.

Mom Thumb said...

You are doing great - I can't believe a credit card company would refuse a payment. I've never heard of such a thing. Thanks for posting the chili recipe. I'm going to try it next week when Randy gets home!

Jacolyn said...

yum...i might make chili tomorrow.

KiddoKare1 said...

Well, the time that it says was actually 2 hours early, I think it's set on Pacific Time. I"m not sure if there's a way to change it, I've never looked. LOL. So it was really about 6:45, which was early enough for a Saturday morning!

Linda, years ago when Tom and I were first married, we had a medical bill that was in collections (we've been stupid for a really long time, LOL) and I cannot tell you how many payments they sent back because it wasn't enough. It was weird!

Jacolyn! I"m so glad to "see" you!