Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 51 and my kids are going to break me

I swear my kids are going to break me! It is time to do something about this. Tasha had a band trip last Tuesday, had to send money with her to eat. Josh & Tasha went to Winter Jam (a Christian music concert) in Wichita on Saturday, had to send money with them to get in and to eat. Then Tasha had a vocal trip today, guess what? Had to send money with her to eat. In all fairness, the kids did some work around the house to earn some of the money to go to the concert on Saturday. But it was still money that came from my pocket. I've also been buying the gas for Josh's car since he does not have a job. I can't complain too much about that as he mainly only drives to church or over to a friend's house. But still, now that basketball is over, I wish to heck he would get a job! What I'm thinking about (and need to talk over with Tom) is deciding on an amount to give them each month. They have to budget it and save it for their various expenses. If they run out, they are responsible for figuring a way out of it. Serenity has always been pretty good with her money, and she always got babysitting jobs and then "real" jobs when she got old enough to drive. I kind of feel like I've not done as well with Josh & Tasha, maybe because their personalities are just different so they didn't take to the money handling as easily as Serenity did.

I wanted to share a favorite recipe of ours:

Crockpot Chicken & Stuffing:
4 chicken breasts (or whatever your family likes)
1 box instant stuffing
1 can cream of mushroom (or celery or chicken) soup
1/2 cup water

Layer ingredients in crockpot in order given. Cook until done. I usually cook it on high for an hour or so, then turn it down to low. I started this yesterday around 11:00 a.m. and it was done in plenty of time for supper.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That chicken sounds good! I am already feeling the pain for Hailee. I constantly owe for school lunches or something it seems like. I think your budget idea is great and with the rising cost of gas, I would probably tell Josh to either ride with u to church or pay for his own gas for that purpose if riding with mom/dad just isnt cool. :-)

KiddoKare1 said...

Well, usually on Sunday mornings, he rides with Michael. On Sunday nights, I have to go over early to take Tasha to band practice so if he goes, he doesn't want to leave that early (and who can blame him? LOL), and I don't usually go on Wednesday nights, but he does. So it's not just a matter of not being cool to ride with us. LOL

Anonymous said...

well that is understandable, i was just wondering with teenage boys. :-)

KiddoKare1 said...

Yes well, sometimes it is the case (he thinks he's too cool to ride with us), but more often it's not.

Mom Thumb said...

I think that's good about having the kids budget. It may not sink in for awhile, but at least the idea is in there. Jess has always been good about that, but I was thinking Curtis would never get a clue. Lo and behold, he finally has. He's actually become quite the cheapskate. Never give up!

Anonymous said...

There is no better time than now for them to learn! When Mandy and Ryan were married, Danny had to figure a budget for them and tell them exactly when to pay each bill. Ryan still hasn't figured it out, imagine that. John is almost the exact opposite. He pays everything way before it is due!

KiddoKare1 said...

Thanks, Linda. It helps to know that Curtis finally got it. Speaking of, did I read that he's getting married?

Di, it really surprises me that Ryan still doesn't have it figured out (please note the sarcasm in my voice, LOL)