Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 141 and Thoughts from the Tightwad Gazette

I've been rereading my Tightwad Gazette and trying to re-inspire myself on our frugal journey. Some of the things that she writes about in the book really make me stop and think. In the intro to the first book, she talks about how paying attention to the little things along the way helped them to pay attention to the bigger things which all helped them to meet their goal. That is so true, isn't it? We can nickel and dime ourselves into a hole. I'm not sure I could ever be as thrifty as Amy Dacyczyn and her family are, but I sure am inspired by all that they have done.

One of the problems that I face in trying to find ways to save money is opposition from my family. Last summer, our dryer was on the fritz for several weeks. During that time, I got very good at keeping up with the laundry by washing and hanging a load every night with a fan pointing at it. It would be dry by morning and I would fold and put them away. Even after the dryer was fixed (sort of, but that's another story), I kept it up for quite a while because I felt like it was helping save electricity. But eventually, I stopped. So in the last few weeks with the advent of warmer weather, I've tried to start again, but not everyone in the house likes the feel of the air-dried clothes. Then I hear whining and complaining. That's my own fault for even putting up with it. But it's hard to hear day in and day out. Some days I think that teenagers are the pits. LOL. I guess I just need a thicker skin.

1 comment:

Mom Thumb said...

We didn't even have a dryer the first 6 years we were married. Of course, we lived in El Paso, so hanging the clothes was easy and they dried quickly. But even when we lived in Duluth, I used to hang the laundry out in the summer. My kids loved the way the sheets smelled. Oh, and they were too little to complain about air dried clothes!