Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 46 and sometimes things just don't work out the way you think

One of the big selling points for us when we bought this house 3 years ago was that it had a brand new roof with a 5 year warranty. This last summer with all the rain, we started noticing a couple of little leaks, but we had lost the card with the contact info on it and the former owners couldn't find theirs either. Well, the former owner called yesterday, she had found it so I called the roofer today. Turns out that hailstorms in '05 and '06 voided the warranty, but for $150 they'd be glad to come out and tell us if we need a new roof or not. Uh, yeah, I bet they would.I really don't remember any hailstorms that bad in the last few years-does anyone else? So I'm not sure what to do from here. I'm not quite sure what the point of a warranty is if it's going to be voided less than a year after the roof is put on.


I have to confess that I've been feeling really down this week. I know most of it is from being so sick. Even though I'm feeling better, I'm still fighting off this bone deep exhaustion that is making it hard to function. I have had to constantly remind myself of the positive steps we've taken and try not to let the negative stuff get me down too far. Thanks to all of my friends and my darling Tom for encouraging me. You are all a huge blessing in my life.

3 comments:

Mom Thumb said...

There might have been hail then. I know our car was mildly damaged and Mike Hampton's was pretty badly damaged, and that was awhile after we moved here. We moved in 2004. We had hail damage to our roof in El Paso, and the insurance covered it.

Try to get some rest this weekend. Sounds like you could use about 16 hours of sleep!

Anonymous said...

Wow, You cannot catch a break! I know there was a hail storm that cut across the southeast corner of town a couple of years ago. Brian Gibson had to replace his roof, but it didn't hurt ours, or even Billy Hilterbrands next door to Brian. Go figure, they can probably use the fact that even one house in town had damage.....It seems like most warranty's and insurance policies these days have so many loopholes that they are the only ones that come out good.

KiddoKare1 said...

Linda, you're not kidding. I do need rest. I am just wiped out!

Di, you're probably right about that. I guess we'll call the insurance agent and see what he has to say.