Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Day 17 and Being Organized

One thing I'm learning in this journey is that in order to keep up and do well, I'm going to have to be organized. I have so much going on in my life between my children, my job, my college stuff, my child care association obligations, and the mother's club that I belong to that some days it feels like all I can do to keep my head above water. Have you ever been so overwhelmed with everything that you have to do that you just can't do anything? That's how I feel some days.

In my quest to help myself keep organized, a few years ago, I discovered a website called www.flylady.net. Flylady is Marla Cilley and she is amazing. Several years ago, she decided to get her life organized and started a mailing list, now it's grown to hundreds of thousands of people all over the world. She does sell stuff on her website in order to keep it free, but the basic service is still free-you never have to buy anything to use it. I highly recommend her website if you need help getting your home and life organized. Flylady's motto is "You can do anything for 15 minutes". I can't tell you how many big jobs (including my college homework) that has got me through.

Thanks again to all of my friends for your support! We went to another ballgame last night. Tom & I paid our way into the game and didn't spend anymore money on ourselves. I must confess though, I did give Josh a couple of dollars to get himself something to drink after his JV game.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He played hard he deserves a drink. :-)

KiddoKare1 said...

That he did! (play hard!) He had an awesome game!

Anonymous said...

No matter how much we can sacrifice ourselves, it is much harder to tell the kids (or grandkids) no. They will have to sacrifice enough when they get out there in the real world. Of course not all the requests are as simple as something to drink, or as easy to provide.....

Anonymous said...

So true! I told John last night my weakness is not spending money on myself but on the girls. They are so easy and fun to buy for.

Mom Thumb said...

That 15 minute thing is so true. I used to HATE to fold laundry or put sheets back on the bed. Then I saw something about how long different chores take (the idea was if you had 15 minutes, these are the things you can do in that time). I timed myself and realized the sheets go on the bed in 7 and the one load of laundry gets folded in 5-6. Big deal. Now it doesn't bother me!

KiddoKare1 said...

Di, you are so right!

Linda, I'm the same way about some chores around the house and when I time myself, I often find out that I'm gritching about a 5 minute or less chore. LOL.