Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 377 and my testimony

Today we had men at church sharing their testimonies. It was amazing to listen to these men telling the stories of their faith and their salvation. Almost as amazing to me was the obvious love for their wives that they showed. The first man was almost in tears telling about how he met his wife. Anyway, that got me to thinking about my testimony. What would I share?

I remember going to Sunday school with my grandmother when we'd visit Granite before we moved back there. I remember going to a class in the basement and singing Jesus Loves Me. After we moved back to Granite, I went to church regularly with my grandparents. Later when I went to college and got married, I quit going to church. I started again after Tom and I moved to Pond Creek, but some things happened and we quit again. A few years ago, Serenity started going to this little church out in the middle of nowhere, aka Bethel Hawley Baptist Church. Before she got her license, I would drive her over there every Sunday and sit out in the parking lot while she went to Sunday school and church! After she got her license, eventually Josh and Tasha started going with her too. Every once in a while, she'd ask me to go and I'd say I would think about it. Serenity would look at me and tell me she knew I was just trying to get her to leave me alone. LOL! After our fire at Christmas of 2004, the church prayed for us, took up a collection for us (of both money and stuff for our kitchen) and I really began thinking about going. So finally, in October of 2005 (yes, it still took me almost a year to go after all that!), I started going to church again. I've made some wonderful friends there, I feel like I've grown closer to the Lord, and I really feel like I"m where God wants me to be. One of the biggest blessings of course have been the Financial Peace University classes we went through at the church. But the biggest blessing is how my heart is free of the constant worrying and obsessing I used to do. Now obviously, I'm not saying that I don't worry. I'd be lying if I said that. But it's not a constant, nagging, keep me awake at night worrying like I used to do. The months after the fire, especially when we were staying at the hotel and renting a house, I'd wake up at 3:00 a.m. and not be able to get back to sleep, thinking and worrying and obsessing.

God is good and I thank Him and praise Him for leading Serenity and eventually our whole family to the Bethel Hawley church family.

No comments: