This came from the bulletin of the church that I grew up going to. They still send me the weekly bulletin. These words of wisdom were written by a Presbyterian clergyman, Rev. William J.H. Boetcker in 1916.
1. You cannot bring about prosperity while discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
3. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
4. You cannot left the wager earner by pulling down the wage payer.
5. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
6. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income. (Tracy here: OH how well, I know that!)
7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
9. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.