Thursday, October 20, 2011

Do or Do Not: There is no Try

I have been re-reading one of my favorite books: Finding Your Smile Again by Jeff Johnson, about helping child care providers get through burnout. I took an online class from Jeff a few weeks ago and it inspired me to re-read the book. In the book, Jeff tells a story involving Kermit the Frog and Yoda. The quote from Yoda is: "Do or do not. There is no try".

So, for six of the last seven days, I have got up and taken a walk in the morning. The other day (last Saturday), I got up and mowed the lawn, so I figured that counted. LOL. Hopefully this is just another step in changing my life and turning things around. Seven days may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it is huge for me.

I had been saying for a while that I was going to "try" to start walking. I realized that saying I was going to try wasn't working. I decided I wasn't going to try, I was going to do it! Last Thursday night, I laid out my clothes and shoes and Friday morning, I just did it. I'm starting out with about 10 minutes and plan to up it a little bit each week. The best thing is: no wheezing! Sure, I get a little out of breath but I'm not gasping for air. Woohoo!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Tracy!

Waiting for change to happen to you or waiting to take action until conditions are perfect means you will wait a long, long time.

The only way to bring about change is to face fear and discomfort by taking that first step in a new direction.

I'm proud of you!

Unknown said...

Great TRACY!!! You are so right we can try all the time and do nothing!!!

Mandy said...

Good for you! I am bad about saying try too! Once I am feeling better I want to get back in the habit of walking.

KiddoKare1 said...

Thank you Jeff, Brenda, and Mandy!