Monday, December 27, 2010

2 Years and Well...a whole lot of days

I know, it's been a whole lot of days, weeks, actually since I posted. I had my first laser surgery scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving. When they got in there, they found instead of scar tissue, my trachea was the shape of an hourglass. So my options were pretty much down to: live with it, try a stint, or the tracheal re-section. The stint was a temporary measure that might or might not actually open it up. They'd go in once to put it in, then back in a few months later to take it out. If it worked, great, if not, I was back to needing the re-section anyway. It also had some pretty scary sounding possible side effects. The doctor said he usually only does the stints for people afraid of the other surgery (especially the part about having to be intubated and in ICU for several days). I was totally thrown for a loop. I prayed (and asked others to pray) for wisdom and really felt like the best option was to go ahead with the tracheal re-section. So on December 2nd when I went back for my recheck from the November 24th surgery, that's what I decided to do. They did the tracheal re-section on December 15th. So far, I can tell some difference in the breathing but he said that there would still be a lot of swelling inside. I'm doing really well, but I'm still pretty wiped out from the surgery. I plan to post again later this week to tell about how the prayers of everyone helped me through the surgery and recovery.

3 comments:

Chell said...

Glad to hear everything is going well!

Di said...

I am glad to see you back on the blog. I have been checking back regularly. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. I know the last few months have been crazy and very stressful for you. I hope you are now on the road to getting several of your health issues under control. I cannot imagine having as many serious issues going on at the same time as you have had to deal with. But you are strong enough to handle it!

KiddoKare1 said...

Thanks Chell! Yes, Di, they have been crazy, but hopefully things will all start to come together now. I'm only mad at myself for not being more assertive from the start about my health.