Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 517 and we can't do this alone

This morning's sermon at church really struck home with me. Gary talked about how we NEED God and when we try to do things on our own, it does not work out very well. To illustrate, he used this passage from Matthew 12: 43-45 about a man who got rid of a demon on his own, but the demon came back with several friends:

43 "When an unclean [a] spirit comes out of a man, it roams through waterless places looking for rest but doesn't find any. (A) 44 Then it says, 'I'll go back to my house that I came from.' And when it arrives, it finds [the house] vacant, swept, and put in order. 45 Then off it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and settle down there. As a result, that man's last condition is worse than the first. (B) That's how it will also be with this evil generation."

My point in this is that I have a really bad habit of praying about something and putting it in God's hands, then reaching up and taking it back because things don't happen as fast as I think they should. I have to realize that to truly hand our finances (or anything else) over to God means that I don't keep obsessing and worrying about. That's not to say that I don't think about it and work on it, but I don't make myself miserable worrying about it like I have been doing lately.

No comments: