Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 280 and Heroes

Who are your heroes? I have a lot of them, but today I'd like to talk about some of them in particular. Last night, Tom and I attended a welcome home party for our niece's husband (our nephew-in-law, I guess?). The party was supposed to be a surprise which is why I didn't want to say anything yesterday in my post (wasn't sure if he ever read my blog or not). John has been in Iraq. If you are anything like me, you've known we had soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan and other places. I have appreciated it, and prayed for them. But it was never as real to me as when I realized John and his brother would be going. Then it became very real and very personal. I think of the families left here at home without their husbands or wives, fathers or mothers, sons or daughters, sisters or brothers. All the wives who give birth to babies while their husbands are gone. All the husbands who do not get to see those babies until they come back. Or worse, never get to come home and see the babies at all. John and Mandy had a baby while John was gone. John was lucky enough to get to come home after Sara was born, but can you imagine how hard it must have been for him to go back after that? I think of all those soldiers halfway across the world away from their families and loved ones. They are helping to keep the freedom that we take for granted everyday. So even if you do not agree with why our soldiers are over there, they are doing it for you anyway. Pray for them everyday. Write them letters. Send them packages. Thank them when you see one here at home. Pray for their families, offer them support and love, and don't forget to thank them too.

John, Mandy, Hailee, & Sara: Thank you for the sacrifices that your family has made so that my family could have freedom. Daniel and the other men and women, I don't know you as well (or at all), but I thank you from the bottom of my heart, also.

5 comments:

Mom Thumb said...

Living in Enid, I see families of soldiers everywhere. I was standing in a long line at Wal-Mart and I overheard a short conversation between two women. When one left I asked the other (very pregnant) one if her husband was in Iraq. She said yes, he just left yesterday morning. I hugged her and told her that she was my hero. Many months later a woman came up to me in Wal-Mart and hugged me and I recognized her as that same woman. She had a baby in a stroller, and her husband was home safe. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog. I agree, we all need to look at the sacrifices of all the soldiers and their families. Mandy is such a strong person, but she struggled at times throughout the pregnancy, etc. It is sometimes hard to see, until it directly affects your family. I made a point of telling the other soldiers at the party the other night "welcome home and thank you!"

KiddoKare1 said...

Wow, that's incredible that she recognized you, Linda. You are one awesome person.

Yeah, I should have done that, Di. I tend to get a little overwhelmed around large groups of people that I don't know.

About Me said...

Thanks for posting this. My husband went to Iraq twice, the first time when our little guy was 3 weeks old. He also went to Afghanistan.
Everything you describe in the blog sums it up for all of us who have experienced the pain of deployment. I'm very happy that your family member is home safely. Keep us posted on how he and his family are doing!

Anonymous said...

I am behind on reading blogs! I just wanted to tell you thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate all the kinds words from everyone.