Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 152 and Feeling Guilty

Di's comment yesterday got me to thinking. I do have a tendency to feel guilty about getting away and relaxing or enjoying myself. Take Monday for example when I couldn't relax even though truly there wasn't much I could be doing with no power on. I mentioned recently that I've been rereading a book on burnout for child care providers called "Finding Your Smile Again". In that book, the author talks about how little time caregivers find to do things for themselves. As one of the exercises, he has you write down a list of things you've done for others and then a list of things you've done for yourself in the last week. Not surprisingly, the list for others was very long and the list for myself was embarrassingly short. Flylady, who I am also a huge fan of pushes the same thing-finding time for yourself. I'd say it's not just child care providers, it's moms in general who don't find time for themselves to get some breathing space. What can I do to find some time for myself? What would I even do in that time for myself? Last summer, I started walking every morning but my asthma put a stop to that. So my goal for the next few days it to brainstorm some things I can do just for me to relax.

I am leaving today at 3:00 to take Serenity's car to her in Norman, pick up Tom's car, and then going to OKC with a couple of friends to spend the night and attend a child care conference. Should be great fun! If I can, I'll post tomorrow night when I return. Otherwise, I'll "see" you all on Sunday.

No comments: